Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Feb 2014

This group posts every first Wednesday of each month.
Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to IWSG page and display the badge in your post.

Thank you to our host, Alex J. Cavanaugh and today's co-hosts: Sheena-kay Graham, Julie Musil, Jamie Ayres, and Mike Swift.
Visit them to say hello ;)

Earlier this year I made a promise to myself to try to reach out to others.  This is one of my shortcomings - it always has been. I'm the listener at a party and the quiet one whom not too many people notice (at least I think so). I don't do 'drama' and can usually tell whether I would get along with someone just by looking at them. It's weird, but it's true. And it's not about their look, per say, but about the vibe I get. It's like a sixth sense and it freaks me out sometimes.

So, for the past month I have been reaching out more and I've begun to shatter that shell of social awkwardness. What did I find? A lot of new friends (online of course) who not only it seems have their own insecurities but have also extended their hand to help over and over again. I feel blessed to be part of such an amazing author community. Now, you may not have seen it on this blog because I've been publishing under a pen name Lacey Silks. For the past year and a half I've dipped my toes into writing and publishing adult romances.

My family and friends have known about it since the beginning and have been very supportive. Many of my Lacey readers know that I write under Marta Szemik, and told me they've read my books. I've never kept it a secret, but also never found a good opportunity to share this information on this blog until now - because I really would like to come out of my shell, and perhaps this way I could find some readers who could crossover to Lacey. So this is me pushing past my awkwardness and shy nature to reach out.

If you like to read erotic romance and romantic suspense, there are a few short stories available for free that you can try (My First, My Last, Bossy Request, Mistress Claire - everywhere except Amazon as I'm still trying to price match it). From Feb 5th until Feb 7th I'm also reducing the price on Layers Deep to $0.99, book 1 in the Layers Trilogy. I hope you enjoy!

What are your insecurities this month? Do you know anyone who's shy? 



7 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

What you were describing sounds just like me! I am shy, have always gone unnoticed, and I listen instead of speaking up. I also have the uncanny talent for vibes too. My best friend (before she was married) used to introduce me to guys she liked and then would ask me my opinion. After she a few minutes I could tell her things I had no way of knowing.

For instance: I was on in the car with her and a guy she wanted my opinion on for five minutes. I later told her I thought he was into something bad and she told me she just found out he sold drugs. YUP!

I can go on and on about dreams and vibes I get that make me believe I'm a little psychic but then this comment would be a novel. LOL!

Best of luck to you with everything!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know you were writing under another name. I know several authors who do that.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ha, I had no idea! Best wishes for ALL your writing projects.

TL said...

Wow, you almost described me to a T, hehe.

I read and write erotic romance and romantic suspense so I can't wait to check out your stuff! Thanks for the links. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

I also have that sixth sense you mentioned.

My brother is terribly shy. He's learning to reach out, though. :-)

Trisha said...

Well done you on pushing past your limits! I think it's something more of us need to do more often, no matter how terrifying it may be. And I know this best of all since I am such a scaredy cat about advertising any of my "stuff" :P (and publishing scares the crud out of me!)

Gina Gao said...

Great job on pushing your limits!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com